Bounce Rates Can Uncover Many Website Issues
For the uninitiated, Google Analytics comes with plenty of obtuse metrics, such as Bounce Rate, and Behavior Flow. Some of these become obvious when you think about the name in the context of analytics (e.g. Behavior Flow is the flow of a user’s behavior before they leave). Bounce Rate might have you thinking of a basketball player’s dribble speed or a measure of how much fun a baby’s having. However, for a search marketing professional, Bounce Rate in Google Analytics refers to the percentage of people that leave after visiting a single page.
In other words, they’ve bounced off your site. For small and medium businesses, this is critical as lost visitors translate to lost opportunities. If your messaging is off, if your content organization doesn’t work, or if your website layout is confusing, Bounce Rate and other Google Analytics metrics can help.
Five Things Your Bounce Rate Can Tell You
1. Visitors don’t have a reason to click further. They find what they need and then they leave rather than exploring content further, resulting in higher Bounce Rates.
2. Navigation may be cumbersome or counterintuitive. Users might have a reason to go further but they don’t know where to start.
3. Your message isn’t clear. If the user doesn’t get a clear call to action, they’ll take the information they need and leave it at that. It might be time to rethink your brand strategy.
4. Your presentation isn’t optimized. Perhaps you’re using pop-ups or lightbox ads, or you’re failing to use related-content generators. Make sure your site is optimized to the latest standards to minimize Bounce Rates.
5. Your site isn’t mobile friendly. Check your Google Analytics to see what percentage of traffic you’re getting from mobile devices. Without a mobile-friendly layout, you’ll risk losing those users after the initial hit.
If you find your site is suffering from high Bounce Rates in Google Analytics, Forward Push Media can help. Marc Apple, Chief Strategist at Forward Push, is a certified Digital Analytics Fundamentals specialist from the Google Analytics Academy. In other words, if your goal is to minimize Bounce Rate, contact Forward Push today for your free Marketing Push Start Session.
By Marc Apple