How Can Your Businesses Use Social Media
Click to Listen
A Checklist to Get You Started
Social media can seem overwhelming to any size business. No matter who you are or what your business does, we’ve all had thoughts that included “What would we post?” and “Who cares what we have to say?” Well, the truth is, you have a lot to say and there are people on the various social media channels that want to hear what you have to say and they want to engage with you. So let’s get started. This article will review the best practices you can start doing today on your business’ Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, SlideShare, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, and Periscope social media channels.
Best Business Practices for Facebook
- Be consistent. No one likes going to a Facebook profile page that hasn’t been updated in weeks, months, or years.
- Don’t worry about being consistent. Share with your audience you blog posts (both current and past), events you are attending, articles you find interesting, photos of your staff at work, etc.
- Promote your posts and offers using Facebook Advertising. For as little as $5 a day you can promote:
- Blog posts to increase traffic to your website
- Your page to increase Likes and engagement
- An offer (ebook, guide, discount) to drive sales
- Be sure to respond to all comments.
- Ask people to comment, Like, or share your posts.
- Tag people and pages in your posts.
Best Business Practices for Twitter
- Tweet your blogs post, both recent and past.
- Tweet your offers.
- Include a call to action to create engagement for your tweet.
- Use images to stand out in the busy Twitter feed.
- Retweet posts from influencers and your followers.
- Quote tweets you like and add your opinion on them.
- Monitor your profile:
- Thank others for following you.
- Thank others for retweeting your tweets.
- Respond to questions or comments.
- Use Polls to see what your followers are thinking.
- Use a #hashtag to make your tweets easy to find by others.
- Create a monthly budget to promote your tweets.
Best Business Practices for LinkedIn
- Create a company profile page and be sure all employees are listed on it.
- Post updates to your company profile page.
- Keep your tone professional
- Post job openings and new hires
- Post blog posts
- Promote your content offers
- Seek out industry groups for trends and news that you can comment on and share with your audience.
- Use your personal profile to share SlideShare presentations and showcase your work, and achievements.
- Be sure your profile is up-to-date with the most accurate information including your contact information.
- Ask for professional recommendations to add to your profile. Also give recommendations.
- Connect with people you know and those you would like to. When reaching out to someone you don’t know, be sure to send a personal note with the connection request, instead of using the generic introduction.
Best Business Practices for SlideShare
- SlideShare is the perfect place to share:
- Case Studies
- Create clickable CTAs (Calls to Action) in your slides so users can be directed to the right pages on your website.
- After uploading a document to SlideShare, be sure to share the link on your other social media feeds. You can even embed your content into your website’s blog articles.
Best Business Practices for YouTube
- Use the search function to find video relevant to your business and share them on your other social media profiles.
- Subscribe to other channels in your industry, so you’ll know what’s happening and also be able to share and comment on other’s content.
- Create videos that showcase what you do and how you help people/other businesses.
- Use cards and annotations for your calls to action to drive traffic and leads to your website.
- Be sure to properly titles and describe your videos. Use a transcription service to make sure what you said is actually what YouTube heard.
Best Business Practices for Instagram
- Double tap (love) posts by influencers and those you follow. Be sure to comment as well.
- Add multiple, relevant hashtags to each post you do. Instagram allows up to 30 hashtags.
- When you post, tell a story.
- Post pictures of your office.
- Post pictures of your employees.
- Post pictures of the work you do.
- Post memes and images that relate to your business.
- Instagram is more than still images, take advantage of the native 15-second video competent. In 15 seconds what could you share with your audience to get them excited about your brand?
- While Instagram doesn’t allow URLs to be associated with a post, you can have one in your profile bio. When posting, let users know that there is a link to more content in your profile.
Best Business Practices for Pinterest
- Seek out new boards from people in your industry or those that are interested.
- Repin images that you find inspiring and want to share
- Create boards for your page for each of your services.
- Fill your boards with:
- Photos from your office and what happens “behind the scenes”
- Images from your blog posts with a link to them
- Company videos
- Memes and other images that show off your company’s personality
Best Business Practices for Periscope
- Set up a broadcast schedule and stick to it.
- Let your audience know when you’ll be broadcasting through your other social media channels.
- Twitter is great for this. Be sure to turn on your location tagging option.
- Live stream:
- Ask Me Anything (AMA)
- Behind the scenes
- New product releases
- Q & A
- Spur of the moments events
- During your broadcast respond to comments as they come in.
What Social Media Channel is Right for Your Business?
Although we listed numerous social media channels and the best practices for businesses to follow, they all might not be right for your business. In determining what channel is best suited for your business, take these 3 questions into consideration:
- What channels are your target buyers using?
- What channels do you competitors use?
- How many channels can you do consistently and well?
If you find that you need help or would like to discuss other ways to increase your business through social media, we’d like to talk you. We offer full-service social media management at an affordable cost with results.
By Marc Apple
Marc Apple is recognized as a leader in the marketing industry and has 20+ years of experience helping businesses of all sizes improve their digital marketing. He specializes in website design, SEO, social media, and paid search programs. He is a frequent contributor to other marketing websites and speaks regularly about marketing to small business owners and startups. To learn about Marc and to contact him, visit his author bio page.
7 Steps to Having a Digital Marketing Plan Workbook
Get actionable tips for how to build your digital marketing strategy so you can grow your brand and your revenue.